Review: Reuben Hills

I have been putting off writing this review for over half a year now because I didn't want to write something that was predominantly negative, but I guess I have to give my honest opinion, and people need to made aware of both good and bad things in life. I was going to wait until I visited Reuben Hills again before writing this review, but that opportunity hasn't presented itself and I thought this has been sitting in my draft box for too long. Sorry if my review discourages you from trying this place, I must say my first visit a while back was great, but this second visit really let me down.
Starting on a positive note, I love the interior design and use
of plants to give the space a clean, fresh and natural vibe.
Mocha - $4.50
I liked this mocha, although again, had left over
cacao sedimentation at the bottom. I did have to add
sugar but I love the sugar they use, someone told
me it was unrefined sugar, but it was different to raw sugar.
Salted Caramel Milkshake - $8.50
Overpriced for a milkshake, but good flavour and nice thickness.
Roast Chicken & Beetroot Salad - price unknown.
Sorry I don't remember the specific name of this dish or the price.
It's not available on their menu any more anyway,
was probably a seasonal summer dish.
My friend ordered this, and honestly I looked pretty plain and simple
Flavours were normal, nothing special to the chicken or dressing.
Soft baked eggs w/ goats curd, spinach, ranchero and rye - $17
A slightly more expensive baked eggs that I have ever ordered.
Although it is soft baked, my eggs were barely cooked. The white was
still very slippery and slimy in texture and the yolks were completely raw.
I like my egg whites cooked thoroughly and yolk slightly runny,
so this was a bit too raw for me. Reminded me of how my dad
use to drink whisked egg for breakfast.
The goats curd was also too strong for my liking, but that was a bad choice
on my part, I was just expecting subtle goat curd.
The ranchero sauce was nice and spicy, but with the uncooked egg everything was
just too liquid in consistency, I struggled using my knife and fork.
Really fucking great fried chicken w/ chilli in a basket - $18
Not really something I would serve as a meal, maybe more like a side,
considering it was just chicken. I can't even just eat KFC chicken by itself.
The chillies were more decorative than anything, you'd need strong taste buds to handle them.
Although the chicken had decent flavour, they were slightly dry.
I must say I did love the 2 dipping sauces!
Doggs breakfast ice cream sandwich w/ salted caramel - $9
A favourite of mine. I just love ice-cream sandwiches, they are an amazing invention.
Firstly the cookie layers were soft, chocolaty but not too sweet,
which balanced the ice-cream and caramel sauce. Although I'm
not a fan of caramel, I tried a bit of this and thought the consistency
and creaminess was great. Although this dish is simple, it's also a classic.
One complaint: small serving for a large plate looks stingy.


Reuben Hills on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts